You should thank videogamedecor for that, not me! They’re the ones covering it.
It’s easy to not think about it if you’re not in the industry, but people who make games - be it AAAA blockbusters, one-person non-commercial bedroom devs, mobile/social folk, web advergames, and everything else under the sun - put hard work and painfully gained expertise into everything they do.
I was at a panel at a GDC a few years back about how to work on games for audiences outside people like you. The speaker brought up, as an example, how Barbie’s Horse Adventure is a well crafted game. The code was as solid as you could expect, the design was engaging for the age range and play styles they were aiming for, and the art was well done (even if being ‘on brand’ meant it wasn’t the most creative or inspiring).
During the Q&A a man stood up, went to the microphone, and said some along the lines of, “I worked on Barbie’s Horse Adventure. We’re damn proud of what we put out, and we know the girls who played it absolutely loved it.”
Commercial art may not be the coolest, but you can still appreciate the amount of effort and creativity that goes into crafting art and UI for a game where ‘unthreatening with a broad appeal’ is the goal.
It’s a videogame and there’s decor. /shrug
Games you don’t like personally are still games and still worth study.
(And if the plants were interesting or notable, you bet we’d use the Kim Kardashian game on video-game-foliage when we come back from hiatus.)
What is your process? I’m interested in gifmaking.
I’ve tried a bunch of methods. The gifsets I’ve made before this were captured using LICEcap (after trying half a dozen other things) and then optimized/cut/resized/compressed in photoshop. That works pretty well, though LICEcap is CPU hungry so to get decent performance you need a machine with some power.
This was an issue with my underwhelming attempts at Wind Waker gifs: emulators take a fair amount of CPU to run, and Dolphin in particular seems to be sensitive to fill rate (essentially the resolution you output the game at). I wasn’t getting good captures, and even when I did I had trouble fitting them into the 1MB file limit for tumblr.
Recently there’s been some nice changes in my workflow. First, tumblr raised the file size limit to 2MB, which is HUGE for making gifs look nice. Second, I got a toy to play with. Offloading the capture work onto the device (plus, you know, being able to capture footage from consoles) has increased the quality of my source material.
Since I’m dealing with footage, somebody let me know that Adobe Premiere has good tools for exporting video directly to gif. (It turns out this is only available on Windows.) I then took those into Photoshop for optimization like before.
I hope that helps!