Thanks for the compliment!
There’s a number of other oddly specific videogame tumblrs out there which also create content like I do. Here’s a non-exhaustive list of the ones I know about (EDIT: I’m gonna add new ones at the bottom as I find out about them):
- Games and Food is about what it says in the title
- obscure video games is a constant stream of games you’ve likely never heard of and are even less likely to ever play, a lot of Japan-only 2D games
- Animated Screenshots puts up a bunch of game gifs
- Pixel Digest looks at pixel art, mostly animated character sprites
- SingleFrameVideoGame posts screenshots from games
- Video Game Art Styles shows one-picture looks at games with unique art styles
- GameLogos posts logos of games
- Old School Video Game Ads is nothing but promotions for old school games
There’s also a few notables that seem to have gone defunct:
- crossing a line is a bunch of weird clothing for animal crossing characters
- Please Press Start is nothing but title screens
In addition, I think these two are in a similar enough vein:
- Rankoban is a collection of classic tankōbon covers
- Context-Free Patent Art has a lot of videogame-related patents in it’s material. It has officially ended posting new material.
It’s not a tumblr, but Dead End Thrills is a curated set of beautiful screenshots and renderings from games.
And while this one isn’t game-related at all, I’m also gonna point out the crazy good motion graphics blog some friends of mine run, Motion Addicts
There are almost certainly more tumblrs out there that are similarly focused on weird, overlooked parts of games, but I don’t know about them.
There’s also plenty of room on here for you guys to start your own! Think of a topic that’s common in games but largely accepted as background noise and then go out and document it. I saw somebody on the Kotaku thread about us who wanted a blog about underwater levels in games, and I think that’s a brilliant idea!
I want to overrun tumblr with oddly specific videogame blogs.
EDIT: Ones I found out about after this post originally was posted are here.